Close

EXCURSION

Vrnjačka Banja – Žiča monastery – Studenica monastery - Vrnjačka Banja (Half-day tour)

TRAVEL PROGRAM

We will start the tour from Vrnjacka Banja at 10 am and after approximately 45 min drive we will reach Žiča Monastery.

Žiča is a Serbian medieval monastery dating from the first half of the 13th century, located near Town of Kraljevo and belonging to the Diocese of the Serbian Orthodox Church of the Serbian Orthodox Church. It was built by the first king of Serbia, Stefan Nemanjic, from 1206 to 1221, and his brother, Sveti Sava, played a significant role in its rise. During the Middle Ages, bishops and eminent kings from the Nemanjić dynasty were enthroned in Žiča, which is why it is also known as the Seventh-day Church. The main monastery church, erected in Raska style, is dedicated to the Rapture of Christ. The monastery was demolished and renovated several times, and in 1979 it was declared a cultural monument of exceptional significance and is under the protection of the Republic of Serbia. Today this is a women’s monastery with 40 nuns.

After the tour of the monastery, we continue our journey and follow the ride through the beautiful Valley of Lilacs, which got its name according to the legend that the Emperor Uros I planted lilacs along the valley of the Ibar River to indulge in steep and sharp cliffs, and that the scene of his future bride, Jelena Anžujska, reminded her of her native Provence. While driving, take a panoramic view of the medieval fortress Maglic. Although it is not known who is the supporter of this fortification, it is believed that it was Stefan the Firstborn, in order to protect his endowment Žiča and Studenica. Ibar surrounds it on three sides and only from the west it is possible to get on foot. We will arrive at the Studenica Monastery around 12.30. Studenica Monastery is one of the largest and richest monasteries of the Serbian Orthodox Church. It is dedicated to the Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God, and was founded by Stefan Nemanja in 1190. The fortified walls of the monastery are surrounded by four churches: the Virgin Church and the Royal Church (the church of St. Joakim and Ana), both built of marble, the church of Nikolaj (St. Nicholas Church) and another church, preserved in the foundations. The monastery is famous for its 13th and 14th century fresco collection. UNESCO included Studenica in the World Heritage List in 1986. Departure from the monastery is planned at  13h 30min. On our way back to Vrnjačka Banja, it is possible to visit ethno restaurant “Kod Mira”.    

The price includes:

– transport with a tourist bus (up to 52 passengers) or tourist van (up to 18 passengers);

– travel guide;
– agency services.

Vrnjacka Banja - Ljubostinja - Minić Wine House – Vrnjacka Banja (Half a day tour)

TRAVEL PROGRAM

We will depart from Vrnjacka Banja at the appointed time towards Serbian Orthodox monastery Ljubostinja. After the guided tour of the monastery we will continue the journey passing by Trstenik and Aleksandrovac and arrive at Minić Wine House. There we will have a guided tour of the winery, with the option of wine tasting and appetizers. On our way back to Vrnjačka Banja we will have a short break at Goč mountain in one of the local restaurants. The arrival in Vrnjacka Banja is planned in the afternoon.


The price includes:

– transport with a tourist bus (up to 52 passengers) or a tourist van (up to 18 passengers);

– wine tasting and appetizers (optional);
– travel guide;
– agency services.

CONTACT US

SERBIAN GENETIC SOCIETY

Find Us